Thursday 18 August 2011

Somalia UN 20 July declared famine!....

Where has the UN been all these years???....
I would like to know why the world are all of a sudden worried about the famine  in Somalia.
Somalia has had the problem since I was a young girl, (I am 57) so much so that when we did not eat our meal,  my parents and subsequently I, would use the following phrase  " you wasting your food while children are dying of hunger in Somalia & Ethiopia" I used it so often that my son told me " Mom why don't you  pack all the wasted food and send it to Somalia and Ethiopia?!" which stopped me from saying it again. 
So why the sudden concern?
Not that I am against the concern, no, I am angry that for all these years the outside world has done jilts about it 
Giving them food and financial  aid will not help the situation. 

I tell you why
1. The women breed like rabbits. Too many mouths to feed, no food being generated, or family planing in place
2. The land is infertile (the women are more fertile then the land).
3. No government in place
4. They only live in huts (very badly constructed) or live in tents provided by the UN

Solutions
1. Sterilize every woman that already has two children, no negotiations.
2. The United Nations must  invest on irrigation  ( if  the likes of Dubai, and parts of Israel turned the desert into a fertile land, why can't Somalia do the same?) Instead of giving food (sometimes does not even reach the hungry) and flimsy tents, spend the money on irrigation for agriculture, and building materials for proper shelter
3.Educate them on Agriculture.
4.Educate them on Family Planning
5. Provide them with financial  aid to build concrete shelter
6. Teach them to build their Country.
If you just do the above, the problem will be solved within 5 years. Prove me wrong
I learnt that sympathising is only good for a little while. Sympathy must be followed by empathy .
P.S By the way how about Ethiopia?? Is the United Nations turning a blind eyes  for years to come and then all of a sudden declare famine??
To me looks like members of the United Nations seem to be playing games with their  financial donations.


No comments:

Post a Comment